9.28.2010

Terrific Tuesday is here again!

I had a few people in mind to write about this week... but I'm not sure how to write about why I think they are particularly terrific without airing some of their dirty laundry to show how far they have come... so I'm going to play it safe for now and write about Mr. Terrific himself... my husband!

Mike and I met what seems like forever ago... but in reality was only 3 and 1/2 years ago.  We "clicked" right away and it was the closest to love at first sight that I've ever experienced.  We started spending a LOT of time together, which wasn't that easy to do since we lived 45 minutes away from each other.  Mike was still living at home with his parents (although he had a pretty cool set up with his own bathroom, bedroom and office... so plenty of privacy) and I was renting a room in a house with two guys my age (and that's a story for another day... haha).  We spent a lot of time going back and forth between our two houses before finally getting an apartment together in Feasterville.  Things were great, as they usually are in relationships where everything is going well... when we hit our first major bump in the road together. I lost my job (more than that... I lost my career, my calling, my EVERYTHING at that time) and was really depressed about it.  I made really good money, I was so proud of and identified myself by my career, and it was all gone in a flash... basically I felt like my world came crashing down.  Mike really stepped up to the plate and helped me find myself as a person.  He cheered me up by buying me our first pet together, a hamster named Chase. (Chase ended up belonging more to Mike than me... the little guy adored Mike and wanted nothing to do with me. lol!)  He told me to take some time and figure out what I wanted to do instead of rushing to get any old job right away.  He was there for me in all the right ways.
After about a month of moping around and dealing with my emotions we found out some absolutely amazing news... a miracle had happened! We were having a baby! I was told by my doctors that I may not be able to conceive and that if I did conceive naturally, it could take years to have success.  Well... it only took three months... and it was truly God's perfect timing as I was at my lowest point after losing my job and now I had something to be ecstatic about.  Mike was BEYOND excited (even though he didn't believe me when I called him and made me take another test when he got home from work. haha.) We called our parents right away, even though we were nervous of their reactions since we weren't married (or even engaged) yet. Oh,  the horrors! Haha. They were surprised... but in the words of my mom "if you're happy, we're happy". He proposed to me on August 12th, 2008 and I was more than ready to say yes! I found out later that he had called my dad and asked for permission to marry me before asking me himself... I love that!  We bought (ok rented and THEN bought) a house together and Mike worked a ton of overtime and took on a second job part time so that I could stay home with our daughter for her first year of life. I appreciate that more than he'll ever know.
Since becoming a mom and growing up a bit, I've really found myself and know who I am as a woman... but there are times when I suffer from self doubt.  Mike is always there to tell me how amazing I am and cheer me on.  We've dealt with our share of normal problems but we've also had to deal with the mystery of my poor health.  I won't bore you with the details, but basically I've had a LOT of health problems through the years and no clear answers... there were a lot of times when I was too exhausted and in too much pain to function and we didn't know why.  Mike was (mostly) patient and (mostly) understanding during these times, but it was frustrating for both of us.  I finally got a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia earlier this year and started treatment.  I'm 1000% better than I used to be, but I still have bad days every now and again.  Mike is always patient and willing to do a little extra on those days to help me out. 
He's a great father to our daughter (he adores his little princess), a hard worker and an amazing provider.  He has really been supportive of my interests (creating a crafting corner in our bedroom so that I can have my own private place to do my sewing, jewelry making and scrapbooking... coming to meet with the pastor of a new church... watching Abby every once in a while without complaining so I can do dinner with a friend) and he let me plan a big elaborate wedding even though he wanted something small and simple.  When I was pregnant with our daughter I OBSESSED about researching every little detail about pregnancy and birth... he listened patiently to every tiny detail that I wanted to share with him, even though I'm sure he was bored to tears and thinking about baseball half the time.  He thinks every meal that I make is delicious (even when it's really not).  He continually tries to improve himself for the sake of our family and I know that Abby and I are the most important things in the entire world to him.  He is my husband... my soulmate... my other half... and I think he's pretty darn terrific!  

1 comment :

  1. nicole this is a great post. Mike is a terrific man and you are a wonderful woman. thank you for sharing this wonderful tribute! So Terrific!!

    ReplyDelete