10.19.2010

Terrific Tuesday!

Today I'll be honoring my grandmother, Doris Jolly.
This is a "Generations" picture from my wedding: My mother, my grandmother, me, my daughter.

It's one of my favorite pictures from the wedding, because seeing us all together reminds me of where I came from.  My grandmother is a strong, opinionated, loving, giving, independant, funny, intelligent woman... and I would like to say that she passed down a little of those traits to all of us.  One of my favorite memories from my childhood is having sleepovers at Grandmom and Grandpops house with my sister and my cousins.  The four of us had a BLAST watching movies and eating snacks and staying up late. Grandmom and Grandpop always used to have special bags full of goodies for us when we would visit or when they would come to see us. Holidays were always so special at their house, too... as us kids would sneak around and try to beat our parents into the kitchen for a piece of crispy skin from the Thanksgiving turkey or to sneak a piece of candy from the jars that Grandmom put on the table especially for us or in my case, indulge a piece of the yummy cheese pie that my Grandmom used to make especially for me! I remember one year she made a whole second pie just for me to take home.  

My grandmother and I also share a love for animals, especially dogs.  Grandmom has ALWAYS had a dog or two running around her house, and they are always spoiled and loved.  I can remember my grandmother cooking up special breakfasts of eggs for her dog Josie, every weekend.  I don't have a single memory of time spent at my Grandparents house that doesn't involve one of their loving and sweet dogs. (Especially Roxy! One of the main reasons we kept the name Roxie for our dog was because of my great memories of my Grandparents Roxy).

Another passion of my grandmothers is/was line dancing.  She used to teach a class of ladies and she absolutely LOVED it.  I remember seeing her special line dancing bag that she brought with her and seeing her practically glow while talking about her line dance ladies.

I mentioned that my Grandmother was strong in the begining of this post.  The word strong doesn't even begin to describe her strength! My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer many years ago and overcame it.  She had many years cancer free, until recently when they found a mass in her brain and lung cancer.  They treated the brain tumor with radiation right away and had great results... it dissapeared.  She is still fighting the lung cancer, but also having good results.  Unfortunately they recently found another mass in her brain, but are hopeful that another round of radiation will do the trick. 

While going through treatment she still managed to attend our wedding in August, and it was so awesome to see her out on the dance floor leading a line dance! She danced the night away, and I'm sure she was exhausted and hurting the next day, but it looked like it was worth it. 

As the years have gone by and I've gotten older and started a family of my own, I don't see my Grandmother as often as I would like (or should) but she's with me every day in the traits that she has passed down to my mother, to myself and to my daughter.  I'm blessed to have her in my life and am so grateful for the inspiration she has given me to become the woman that I am today. 

No comments :

Post a Comment