11.02.2010

Terrific Tuesday: Sugarmamas and Sugarbabies!

I've briefly mentioned message boards before on this blog, but I didn't go into detail about just how important they are to me... especially my Sugarmamas.  When I found out I was pregnant with Abby back in April 2008, I stumbled upon a website called iVillage, which hosted a bunch of  information on pregnancy and a whole slew of messageboards, including one for women due when I was! It was called the December 2008 Expecting Club.  I registered my name and signed up... not having any clue how much this group would impact my entire life! We started off slowly, getting to know each other and sharing symptoms/hopes/dreams/ultrasound pics/belly pics/etc and before you know it, this group of women from all over the WORLD (we have members in Canada and Ireland!) knew each other on a first name basis and were even swapping phone numbers.  We've been there for each other through some of the greatest times in our lives (birthing our babies, buying new houses, marriages, etc) and some of the worst times in our lives (pregnancy loss, stillbirth, divorce, affairs, job loss, etc).  We eventually changed over to a "playgroup" (and branched off onto facebook and a new board) instead of an "expecting club" and we gained and lost a lot of members along the way, but the same core group is still around and the new women are pretty great too. ;)  These women are my heart and soul!  We have rallied for each other and supported each other in ways you wouldn't believe... we've fundraised to help families that needed operations, we've done gift exchanges, we've had multiple real life meet-ups, we've worn badges (or blinkies) supporting each other, and no matter what time of day or night you need someone... a Sugarmama WILL be there.  I've made AMAZING friends and am lucky enough to live near a toddler "hot spot" (ie. Sesame Place!) so when we had a meet-up this summer... I was able to attend and even host a BBQ at my house!  I've also had the fortune of meeting other Sugarmamas and Sugarbabies that couldn't attend the meet-ups, and I've talked to so many on the phone and through Skype that I consider them to be among my very best friends.  I care about thier families as if they were my own. A Sugarmama even made Abby's flower girl dress for our wedding! It is an understatement to say that we are a group of DIVERSE women... we come from all walks of life... young, older (nobody is old... hehe), wealthy, financially struggling, first time moms, moms of 6 or more!, military families, stay-at-home moms, working moms, single moms, lesbian moms, adoptive moms, birth moms, Christian moms, Jewish moms, moms of all denominations... but we're ALL moms and that is what gives us our strength.

 Two Sugarbabies getting to know each other at Sesame <3

 A bunch of Sugarbabies, Sugarmamas and even a couple Sugardaddies and Sugarpartners (Sugarwives? haha) at my house for a BBQ :)

Another Sugarmama meet-up!

I loved meeting all of these women that I've come to know so well through the years

I am so thankful and lucky to have this group of women in my life <3

These are the people that I run to when I'm struggling... they are the people that I want to share my good news with... they are the women that I ask for advice, recipes, information, and sometimes just a shoulder to lean on.  The Sugarmamas are TERRIFIC!!!


7 comments :

  1. Brandy M. (doodlebug2008)November 2, 2010 at 9:12 AM

    I LOVE this post. I don't know what I'd do without my fellow Sugarmamma's!!

    :+)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you too Nicole. Who would think such a strong support system could be formed online, but here we are. I don't know what I'd do without all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sugarmomma's have kept me sane and i dont know what I would do without this group! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME POST!!! Couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! This is a great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! and I love the sugarpartner/wives that made me giggle! Its funny, when something happens or I need feedback on something, I always think of my SMs as the first people I need to be in touch with! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why I'm just now reading this, but I'm totally crying! I love you all so much and don't know what I would have ever dine without your love and support!!!!

    ReplyDelete