1.11.2011

I've Been Remade!

One of the most inspirational songs that I've heard this year is by Tenth Avenue North, and it's called You Are More.  At first it made me think of someone in my life that I feel really needs to hear it and find God and herself... and I prayed for her every time that song played... but the more I listened to it, the more I realized that the song is just as much about me as it is about her.  Here are the lyrics, and I suggest that you youtube the song and take a listen yourself... it's really powerful.

"There's a girl in the corner
With tear stains on her eyes
From the places she's wandered
And the shame she can't hide

She says, "How did I get here?
I'm not who I once was.
And I'm crippled by the fear
That I've fallen too far to love"

But don't you know who you are,
What's been done for you?
Yeah don't you know who you are?

You are more than the choices that you've made,
You are more than the sum of your past mistakes,
You are more than the problems you create,
You've been remade.

Well she tries to believe it
That she's been given new life
But she can't shake the feeling
That it's not true tonight

She knows all the answers
And she's rehearsed all the lines
And so she'll try to do better
But then she's too weak to try

But don't you know who you are?

You are more than the choices that you've made,
You are more than the sum of your past mistakes,
You are more than the problems you create,
You've been remade.

You are more than the choices that you've made,
You are more than the sum of your past mistakes,
You are more than the problems you create,
You've been remade.

'Cause this is not about what you've done,
But what's been done for you.
This is not about where you've been,
But where your brokenness brings you to

This is not about what you feel,
But what He felt to forgive you,
And what He felt to make you loved.

You are more than the choices that you've made,
You are more than the sum of your past mistakes,
You are more than the problems you create,
You've been remade.

You are more than the choices that you've made,
You are more than the sum of your past mistakes,
You are more than the problems you create,
You've been remade.

You've been remade
You've been remade.
You've been remade.
You've been remade."


Certain parts of that song speak to me, LOUDLY... especially:

She knows all the answers
And she's rehearsed all the lines
And so she'll try to do better
But then she's too weak to try


These lines, to me, speak of my good intentions... they speak of the promises that I've made to myself and never followed through with (getting healthier, doing makeup and hair, volunteering more often, having more patience, etc)

Then comes this part...

But don't you know who you are?

You are more than the choices that you've made,
You are more than the sum of your past mistakes,
You are more than the problems you create,
You've been remade.


This year has been life-changing in soooo many ways.  Not only have I found God again, I've gotten married to "the one", become closer than ever with my daughter, gained a family member in the form of a puppy, been diagnosed with (and started treating) a life-long medical condition and so many other things.  The way I think about things has changed and I really try and live my life with grace. I really feel for the first time in my life that I really know who I am, and I'm proud to be that person.  I've been remade.

So where is this post leading?  I am, for the first time ever... making a life change for my health.  A number of things have lead to this decision and the motivation and determination to make it a success:

1. I read an article about a dying little girl that needed a kidney transplant... her mother was the perfect match... only she was too overweight to give a healthy donation.  The daughter died.  Because her mom was fat.  I don't think I could live with myself if I were unable to save Abby's life because of being overweight.

2. KLove (a radio station I listen to) has been doing a series on a book called "Made to Crave" which is about satisfying your needs with God, not with food.  It's really inspired me and helped me to realize that though we are all "made in God's image", He wants you to take care of your body and make good choices... and when you're craving junk food, you're probably really craving something else in your life, and this program helps you figure out what that is. I just ordered the book and cannot wait to start reading.

3. I have help! I've been tracking calories, iron intake (mine is "dangerously low"), and carbs (I'm an admitted addict) through http://www.myfitnesspal.com/.  It tracks my calorie consumption and use and keeps me updated on how many I have left for the day, if I want to meet my weight loss goals.  It also has an app I use on my phone, so I'm not logging onto the computer every time I eat.  A big thing I like about this site is that I have friends on there that help keep me accountable by supporting my good choices and calling me out on my cheats. :)

4. I'm starting a 7-day cleanse tomorrow to really start me off with a clean slate.  I'm doing the "Be-Cleansed" program from GNC.  I'll keep you updated as to how I feel. :)

So... wish me luck as I embark on a journey to become a healthier and happier mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend, coworker, acquaintance, etc. <3

3 comments :

  1. Best of luck!!! You will rock it, Nic!

    That song is so incredibly powerful that it literally left me in tears the first time I heard it and I kept it playing on repeat for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Nicole! I've been listening to the "Made to Crave" stuff on KLove and it's been really inspiring. I'm healthy in terms of weight, but I am most definitely an emotional eater and have had other problems with food...all to attempt to satisfy a void that can only God can fill. I'm really proud of you and excited for you as you embark on this journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have been remade! What a powerful song, good luck on your journey you can do it!

    ReplyDelete