2.26.2011

I'm a mama bear... DO NOT mess with me when my cub is around.

So Abby and I just had a traumatic morning... I'm still shaking.

After cleaning the house all morning we decided to hit up Walmart to get a few things that we needed.  When I pulled into the parking spot a man approached my car and started knocking on my window.  I motioned for him to go away and he frantically motioned for me to roll down my window.  Thinking that he might need help, I cracked my window to ask what he wanted and he passed a business card through.  The card said:

"I'm deaf.  Please donate money... any amount you can."

or something like that.  I passed the card back to him and shook my head, motioning for him to leave.  He gave me a dirty look, knocked on my window AGAIN and pointed at the card.  I told him I was going to call 911 and he finally left. 

Look... even if I had cash on me (which I didn't) I would NOT have given this man money.  You don't approach a woman alone with her baby and knock on their car window.  You just don't.  Not to mention the fact that if you have money to have some fancy business cards printed up begging for money, that's a bit hypocritical for my taste.  Plus, I myself have a chronic health condition and you don't see me harassing people in parking lots for spare change! The whole thing just doesn't sit right with me... and the fact that I've read a million urban legends about this kind of thing with the business cards being laced with drugs in an attempt to rob/rape/kidnap/murder/carjack WHATEVER means please don't come near me when I'm alone with my child.

He finally left and after making sure he was a good distance away Abby and I got out of the car and headed into the store.  We went right to customer service, where I let them know what happened.  They sent someone outside (a cart boy? I'm not sure what his job was) and told him to make sure the guy left.

Abby and I continued our shopping and I assumed all was well.  By the time we were getting ready to check out I was feeling really shaky and lightheaded, like I had low blood sugar.  I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast around 7, but it was around 11:30  now and I guess I needed to eat something.  I felt like I was going to pass out and I just wanted to get to the car so that I could sit down and drink an iced tea to feel better.

As I was approaching our car the same man walked around the corner and started power walking towards me.  I made eye contact and shook my head, waving him away.  He kept coming.  I put my hand in my purse and said  "I have mace! Don't come near me!" He kept coming.  At this point another woman who was loading things in her car said to me, "He's deaf. He can't hear you. He just wants a donation."  I said "I don't care! I already told him to leave us alone earlier!"  At this point he was about 10 feet away from me.  I shouted, "DO NOT COME OVER HERE! I'LL MACE YOU!" while waving him away, frantically.  He finally started walking away and I started unloading our car, practically in tears.  The other woman said to me, "I'm calling the police. I can't believe you were treating a deaf man like that." 

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

I wasn't about to have her give my license plate number and HER account of the story to the police, so we waited around for them to arrive.  A few minutes later I was telling my story to the officer, explaining that maybe I DID overreact, but I was feeling faint and I had my daughter... which brings out the mama bear in me. The officer insisted that what I did was great and that in his opinion, he wishes more women would overreact instead of becoming victims.  That this man had no right to approach my car and that next time I should immediately try and run back into the store.  (We were at the opposite end of the lot from the store, but that is neither here nor there.) They made sure the man left the property and let us go home.

I don't know what I would have done had the man kept coming.  I didn't actually have mace in my purse. Sometimes I do, but I had switched purses and NOT switched the mace.  I shudder to think about it. :(

Ok... now it's time to shake it off and move on with our day.  Have a great one, everyone!

4 comments :

  1. Ahhhh omg! I'd flip out Nicole! Deaf or not you don't approach anybody like that. He obviously wasn't blind so he saw you shake your head no and purposely try to avoid him...that woman is an idiot. Last summer I was on my way home from my dads. I had Gabby in the car with me and it was dark out. I was stopped at a redlight and a crackhead..literally..a crackhead came out of the blue and started banging his fists on the hood of my car. I turned my music down and heard him yelling at me to open my damn doors and when I refused he started to come around the driver side so I ran the red light and ran him over...his foot I believe..I was terrified! I didn't even look back. I panicked. I had my FIL go back and check the area and see if he was hurt or if there were police/ambulance around but nothing...some people have imense nerve to approach a stranger not knowing what they are capable of. And in this case I ran his ass over

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I would have probably done the same thing, except I would have been totally freaking out on that woman. Did she stick around to hear what the officer had to say? I hope so- I think it's something she needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nicole, I'm so sorry you had such a scary morning! You're nicer than I am...I probably would have told that lady that if she wasn't going to help then she could mind her own effing biz or else go ahead and call the police since you were the one being harrassed. And then I'd pee my pants. Anyway. You definitely did the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had the presence of mind to protect yourself and your child. This type of thing is honestly one of my biggest fears- I am really not that "street smart" at all!! I tend to freeze up when the adrenaline starts flowing. Good for you, mama!

    ReplyDelete