4.12.2011

Grandmom Jolly

We laid a great woman to rest this past weekend... my grandmother, Doris Jolly, passed away on Thursday morning.  The funeral/viewing/ceremony was absolutely gorgeous. It was a really nice day. Emotional, of course, but everything was beautiful. I said my little tribute and made it through without tears (I'll thank my years of being on the speech/debate team in HS for my comfort with public speaking) and my Grandfather told me that he loved it and it made him really cry for one of the first times since Thursday.

There was a lot of traveling, a lot of family, beautiful memories heard about my grandmother, lots of AMAZING food, pitchers of beer and happy family reminiscing... just what my grandmother would have wanted.

I'm going to post my tribute here so that I don't lose it... documents on my computer tend to dissapear through the years and I know I'll always be able to find this blog. :)

"Hi, I’m Dot’s granddaughter, Nicole.  I would like to start with a passage from Philippians that reminds me of the strength of my grandmother’s character.

 10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

At my wedding last August the photographer took a “Generations picture” of my grandmother, my mother, myself and my daughter. Four generations of women in one picture.  It’s one of my favorite pictures from the wedding, because seeing us all together reminds me where I came from.

My grandmother was a strong, opinionated, loving, giving, independent, funny, intelligent woman… and I would like to say that she passed down a little of those traits to all of us.  Grandmom always went out of her way to make everything just a little more special.  Whether it was a holiday get together, a sleepover at their house, or a random visit where she came holding a little brown lunch bag full of goodies…. if Grandmom was there, good things were happening.

Although she’s in heaven now, she’ll still be with us every day in the traits she has passed down through the generations.  I’m blessed to have known her and so grateful for the inspirational woman that she was.

I would like to close with a prayer.

Holy God, we praise your  name
For all who have finished this life loving and trusting you
For the example of their lives,
The life and grace you gave them,
And the peace in which they rest.
We praise you today for your servant Doris
And for all that you did through her.
Meet us in our sadness
And fill our hearts with praise and thanksgiving,
For the sake of the One who loves us all.

Amen.
"

RIP Grandmom

No comments :

Post a Comment